The Municipality of Metlika was occupied even during prehistoric times because of its location. Metlika received city rights in 1365. The city was strongly impacted by the Turks and by both World Wars. Its biggest period of development was experienced in the late 19th century when Slovenia's first fire brigade, Dolenjska and Bela krajina's first literary society, the first savings and loan bank and the Metlika brass band were all established. The oldest and most attractive part of the city is the old town centre, which lies on a promontory above the Obrhom stream and represents the core of Bela krajina's cultural heritage.
Pastures are a feature of the Bela krajina landscape. They are areas that are overgrown with birch and bracken undergrowths. The best pastures are located between Vinomerj and Drašiča and the village of Marindol. The silver birch trees rise beautifully out among the pastures, a specific characteristic of Bela krajina and its name.
2. DC-3 Airplane
The airplane is situated along the Črnomelj-Metlika regional road in the direction of the village of Otok as a memorial of the Bela krajina and other Slovenian airports during the struggle for national liberation. The location is continuously open for viewing and close by there is also the Prilozje sport aerodrome.
3. Three Parishes in Rosalnice
The famous Three Parishes pilgrimage route is located in the lowlands northeast of the village of Rosalnica pri Metliki. The pilgrimage complex features three Gothic churches, each squeezed within high cemetery walls, which are probably remains left over from anti-Turk forts. The churches stand alongside each other. The northern church is dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows and boasts the oldest Eislov organs in former Carniola from the year 1753. The central church bears the patronage “See the man” (Ecce Homo) and is dedicated to the persecuted Christ. It is the only one of the three churches that has a bell tower and an open outbuilding leaning against it. The south church is dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes and inside you find a sacramental cottage built into the north wall. All of the external walls have some built-in tombstones from the past two centuries.
4. Bela krajina Museum
Since it opened in 1951, the museum has been housed in the Metlika Castle and its permanent collection displays life from prehistory up to the mid-20th century, including also a wine-making collection and a lapidary under the arcades. Within the castle, there is also the Gangl exhibition, the wedding hall, the castle cellar and the TIC. Close to the castle, you can also find the Kambič Gallery and fire brigade museum.
Information: TIC Metlika, Mestni trg 1, 8330 Metlika, +386 (0)7 36 35 470