The Municipality of Kočevje features extraordinary biological diversity (brown bears, lynxes, wildcats, white-tailed eagles, grey wolves, etc.), unspoilt nature in 6 primeval forests, underground water flow and karst landscapes. Kočevje, the former centre of a German settlement, experienced development with the arrival of the railway and expansion of the coal industry. Its location makes it the perfect base for excursions to the surrounding forests and hills.
1. Parish Church of St. Jernej
The church was built in the late 19th century on the site of the original 14th century parish church. The plans for the neo-Romanesque style church were designed by the Viennese architect Friedrich Freiherr von Schmidt.
Fridrihštajn Castle was built by Count Frederick II of Celje between 1422–1425 as a “love nest” for Veronika of Desenice, whom he had married after the death of his first wife. Herman II, Frederik's father, later had Veronika drowned, his son arrested and the castle destroyed. The ruins of the castle are now a locally important monument.
3. Šeško House
Šeško House is named after the national hero Jože Šeško (1908–1942) and was built between 1936 and 1937 as the Sokolski House with multipurpose buildings, a gymnasium and a hall with a theatre stage and side room next to it. From 1 to 4 October 1943, an assembly of Slovenian national delegates was held here – the first elected representative body of an occupied nation in Europe during World War II. Today, Šeško House is a cultural centre with a museum collection.
4. Bilpa Forge
The Bilpa Forge, which is also called Verderber Forge, is situated on the border of the former Kostel and Poljan estates. To this day, the forge preserves the old methods of product manufacture and visitors can come and witness them. This one-of-a-kind, still-functioning forge is also mentioned in the story “Kako je vrag čez Kolpo skočil” [How the devil leaped over the Kolpa].
5. Kočevje Forest Honey
This honey is a registered trademark and it comes from the Kočevski Rog region, which stretches to the Krka and Kolpa Rivers and covers about one hundred and fifty thousand hectares of land. This honey is distinguished from other Slovenian honey types by its higher quality standards.