The Municipality of Škocjan lies in the eastern part of Dolenjska between the Krka River, Krka hills and the wetland plains of the Krakovo forest. Within the Radulja River Valley lies the town of Škocjan, which is the centre of the municipality. In the centre of the town, the magnificent renaissance Church of St. Kacijan rises up and another special place is the two-part stone bridge.
1. Zagraški log Grove Ethnological Park
The Zagraški log Grove stretches over 7 hectares to the village of Zagrad in the Goriško Stream Valley. The park is a real treasury of native nurseries, shrubs and rocks that is capped off with the farm house and Rangus House, which is around 300 years old. The village spring was not only a source of drinking water but also a symbol of prosperity. A special feature of the park is certainly the geological pillar of local rock, which firmly and silently testifies to the underground wealth of the park and its surroundings. The connecting walking paths, the wooden bridges and foot bridges that connect the banks of the stream and little nooks for picnics that cap things off are all interesting elements of the park. The entrance to the park has been located in front of the Prijatelj House since the end of the 19th century and offers a pleasant ambience for the reception of groups.
2. Church of St. Kancijan and Fellow Martyrs
The parish church in Škocjan was first mentioned in 1306. The central altar is dedicated to St. Kancijan and Fellow Martyrs. Under the choir area south of the tomb of Jeršetič, you can find the memorial plaque dedicated to the missionary and explorer of the White Nile, Dr. Ignacij Knoblehar. His memorial, which stands in front of the church, shows him at the baptism of an African boy. The clothes of both figures flutter in the wind, an illustration of the arrival of the Holy Spirit to the baptism.
3. Gothic Church of the Holy Mother of the Rosary at Stopno
The Church at Stopno holds a dominant position on a slope overlooking beautiful landscapes, and in clear weather, it rewards visitors with rich views in all directions. The interior paintings are the work of Janez Ljubljana. The Way of the Cross was created by painter Anton Postl, and the three gold altars and other baroque pieces all arouse admiration. The external altar allows that worship may also continue outdoors. This church is the backdrop for the annual celebration of National Day and on the Anton Name Day an auction takes place at its feet.
4. Gutenwerth Medieval Market
The Gutenwerth Market is the oldest market in Slovenia, dating back to the 11th century. With the bishop's house, the judge, castellans, officials and the mint, this market was already successfully competing with that of Kostanjevica and Novo mesto in the 15th century. This was helped by the leather working, iron and pottery industries as well as it being an important transport location. Its wealth was demonstrated by its three churches. In 1473, Otok was completely destroyed by the Turks, who surrounded the village and burned it and lead away the residents into slavery. The last visible remnants of the former market are the thatched roofs covering a rectangular church nave with a square presbytery, in which is inscribed a semi-circular apse.
Zavinek is a village near to Škocjan, where every December the villagers decorate with thousands of lights and invite you to witness the fairytale like Christmas-New Year's decorated villages. They also offer mulled wine and tea to all visitors. In addition to the village decoration, the village also organises central municipal events at Christmas and on Independence and Unity Day as well as the Koledovanje events on the Eve of the Epiphany.
Information: TIC Škocjan, Škocjan 33, 8275 Škocjan, +386 (0)7 38 46 312, +386 (0)51 612 111